How to prepare for a home inspection
JAT Property Management LLC - Thursday, July 18, 2019
- If home is vacant, leave utilities on.
- Make sure electrical sockets, light fixtures, switches and fans work.
- Check smoke detectors are operating.
- Check that faucets and toilets run properly and do not leak.
- Clean stove and oven so they won’t smoke and set off smoke alarm when tested.
- Check all doors and windows open and close and all hardware works.
- Clear obstructions around AC unit, furnace, water heaters and attic access.
- Leave keys for outbuildings and exterior electrical boxes.
- Remove brush and debris from exterior inspection points.
- Gather documentation for renovations or repairs that have been made to the property.
- Provide sketch showing location of septic tank and well.
- Remove or crate pets.
- Plan to be away for three hours minimum.
- Consider having the home pre-inspected so you can fix problems before the official inspections.